School districts, The Food Group provide meals for local students

Free take-away breakfast and lunch this week

SHERIDAN — While classrooms are closed to slow the spread of COVID-19, local organizations and volunteers are working hard to ensure that children do not go hungry.

Every day from 10 a.m. to noon, Sheridan County School District 2 schools are providing free take-away bags with breakfast and lunch to ages 18 and under. Following guidelines for a balanced meal, each school staff designs their own daily menu, such as a sandwich, fruit, vegetable and milk.

“We reach so many families in need and so many families that are busy throughout the day and rely a lot on the meals the schools offer,” said Candace Garner, food service director at SCSD2. “We wanted to be sure the families that need it and folks that are looking for a good balanced meal on short notice can come in and have that available.”

After the Wyoming Department of Education submitted a waiver allowing public schools to serve meals during school closures, the service was approved Monday and began with lunches Tuesday, according to Garner.

About 30-60 students visited each school to pick up lunches on the first day, Garner said, and she anticipates that number will increase throughout the week. To avoid the spread of COVID-19, the SCSD2 staff will, as usual, observe stringent food-safety regulations and emphasize social distancing.

The Sheridan schools offering breakfast and lunch include the high school, junior high and all elementary schools. Story students may pick up meals on request by calling 307-674-7405, ext. 5003, before 9 a.m.

After Friday, SCSD2 is observing spring break, which was originally through March 27 and is now extended to April 3. No meals are planned during the break; the district is considering options if closures continue.

Enter: The Food Group.

Read the whole story.

About The Sheridan Press
The Sheridan Press has served Sheridan County, Wyoming, since 1887. The award-winning independent newspaper is dedicated to informing and engaging the community by creating, producing and distributing exceptional content and trusted journalism. Online rates start at just $1.50 per week; to subscribe to The Sheridan Press, click here.