Italian exchange student urges tightening of COVID-19 precautions

SHERIDAN — Rebecca Brugiafreddo, an exchange student from Italy currently living in Sheridan, wants the community to heed worldwide examples of what Sheridan may experience if certain behaviors surrounding COVID-19 do not adjust.

Brugiafreddo boarded a plane for the first time last August to come to the U.S. as an exchange student. She left her home of Piasco, Italy, a northwestern town of 3,000 people best known for manufacturing Salvi harps.

Before the COVID-19 outbreak, Brugiafreddo’s favorite part of living in Sheridan was the routine of attending school and spending time with friends.

Brugiafreddo had the possibility to return home to Italy about two weeks ago, as many exchange agencies have sent students home in the wake of COVID-19.

“It was a difficult decision — a lot of tears, a lot of stress,” said Jeff Bowie, Brugiafreddo’s host father.

Brugiafreddo knew the window to travel to Italy would be closing, and now it remains unknown as to when going home will be possible again.

“I talked with my parents, and we decided it was too dangerous to travel right now,” Brugiafreddo said. “My mom was supposed to come here for the graduation party, but I don’t think it’s going to happen.”

Read the entire article.

About The Sheridan Press
The Sheridan Press has served Sheridan County, Wyoming, since 1887. The award-winning independent newspaper is dedicated to informing and engaging the community by creating, producing and distributing exceptional content and trusted journalism. Online rates start at just $1.50 per week; to subscribe to The Sheridan Press, click here