Learning leadership

Area students travel to capitol for annual Girls State

SHERIDAN — A handful of students from around Sheridan County put their books down and got a close, personal look at how governments operate June 7 to 12 during the annual Wyoming Girls State program in Cheyenne.

The program, sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary and similar to the Boys State program, is designed for students who have completed their junior year of high school and provides participants with hands-on lessons and experiences in government and citizenship, as well as helping them develop leadership skills.

“Delegates are chosen from throughout the state to participate in education sessions that contain a mock Senate, House and court system,” said Morgan Kenneda, social media coordinator for the Wyoming Girls State 2021 session “The delegates also participate in developing party platforms, running for office and working together to run their own cities.”

Read more.

About The Sheridan Press
The Sheridan Press has served Sheridan County, Wyoming, since 1887. The award-winning independent newspaper is dedicated to informing and engaging the community by creating, producing and distributing exceptional content and trusted journalism. Online rates start at just $1.50 per week; to subscribe to The Sheridan Press, click here